AMVAC®, an American Vanguard Company, is excited to announce the winners of the first annual 2019 Cotton Industry Advancement Scholarship. A total of seven students were selected from 26 qualified applicants. Each scholarship recipient was awarded $2,000.
“Maintaining a pipeline of quality individuals to work in the industry is vital to the future of agriculture,” said Paul Vaculin, cotton marketing manager at AMVAC. “We’re excited to help support these students as they pursue a career in agriculture and the cotton industry.”
The 2019 Cotton Industry Advancement Scholarship Winners include:
- Jonathan Ryan Crowl – from Morse, Texas. Sophomore attending Blinn College in Brenham, Texas. Majoring in agricultural business with a minor in crop science. Nominated by Ryan Livingston.
- Jerik Blayne Reed – from Kress, Texas. Entering freshman attending Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas. Majoring in agricultural services and development. Nominated by Blayne Reed.
- Ethan Thompson – from Kenly, N.C. Sophomore attending North Carolina State University in Raleigh, N.C. Majoring in agricultural-based biochemistry. Nominated by Brandon Cole.
- John Dalton Beasley – from Screven, Ga. Entering freshman attending University of Georgia in Athens, Ga. Majoring in applied biotechnology. Nominated by John Beasley.
- Stephen LaMastus Jr. – from Cleveland, Miss. Entering freshmen attending Mississippi Delta Community College in Moorehead, Ga. Majoring in agriculture. Nominated by Trent LaMastus, Ed Whatley, Pete Baughman, Billy Bryant and Tucker Miller.
- Hunter Lipsey – from Monterey, La. Entering freshmen attending Mississippi State University in Starkville, Miss. Majoring in agronomy and integrated crop management. Nominated by Richard Griffing.
- Devon Austin – from Caraway, Ark. Graduate attending Arkansas State University in Jonesboro, Ark. Obtaining a Master of Science degree in agriculture with emphasis in plant and soil science. Nominated by Greg Smith.
Winners were selected by a panel of judges and awarded based on the merits of their application. All applicants were nominated by a practicing cotton consultant and worked for a cotton consultant between 2017 and 2019. It was also required that applicants be a senior in high school or currently enrolled full-time in an undergrad or graduate-level agricultural program at an accredited college or university.
Applications for the next Cotton Industry Advancement Scholarship will open in January 2020.
AMVAC is a longtime supporter of the cotton industry, offering a portfolio of trusted products including Bidrin®8 insecticide, Folex®6 EC cotton defoliant and many others that cotton growers have relied on for years. To learn more about AMVAC and the Cotton Industry Advancement Scholarship, visit www.AMVAC.com.
About AMVAC Corporation
AMVAC Corporation is a subsidiary of American Vanguard Corporation. American Vanguard Corporation is a diversified specialty and agricultural products company that develops and markets products for crop protection management, turf and ornamentals management, and public safety and animal health applications. American Vanguard is included on the Russell 2000® & Russell 3000® Indexes and the Standard & Poors Small Cap 600 Index.
The Company, from time to time, may discuss forward-looking information. Except for the historical information contained in this release, all forward-looking statements are estimates by the Company’s management and are subject to various risks and uncertainties that may cause results to differ from management’s current expectations. Such factors include weather conditions, changes in regulatory policy and other risks as detailed from time-to-time in the Company’s SEC reports and filings. All forward-looking statements, if any, in this release represent the Company’s judgment as of the date of this release.
Bidrin is a restricted use pesticide. Important: Always read and follow label instructions. Some products may not be registered for sale or use in all states or counties. Please check with your state agency responsible for pesticide registration to ensure registration status. All products are EPA registered.
©2019 AMVAC Chemical Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of American Vanguard Corporation. All rights reserved. AMVAC, Bidrin, Folex and respective logos are trademarks owned by AMVAC Chemical Corporation.