The Quality Manager for AMVAC’s Quality and Environmental Laboratories in Axis, Alabama supervises the Quality Control Lab and personnel. The Quality Manager is responsible for quality, testing, training, time management and performance of the lab and direct reports.
AMVAC, an American Vanguard company, is an essential business that successfully serves global markets through development, manufacturing, and marketing of products for agricultural and commercial use. (NYSE: AVD)
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for day-to-day management of the Quality Lab and its priorities based on plant operational needs
- Reviews daily output of laboratory results and consults with operations, environmental and process chemists
- Responsible for laboratory safety management to ensure a safe work environment for all lab personnel
- Performs as the Chemical Hygiene Officer and maintains the Chemical Hygiene Plan for the Axis Labs.
- Manages lab personnel including hiring, training, scheduling, discipline and professional development of all Quality and Environmental lab personnel
- Responsible for the financial management of the Axis Quality and Environmental labs including purchasing authority for the labs, negotiating prices from vendors; monitoring monthly budgets, creating appropriation requests for capital purchases, and has input into the yearly Axis Quality budget
- Primary Quality contact for customers, vendors, regulatory agencies and site partner
- Manages the Axis Quality Management System (QMS) that creates and approves procedures, policies, work instructions and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the Quality Department
- Works with the shipping coordinator and logistics personnel to design and generate Certificates of Analysis (COAs)
- Quality Council member and Axis Technology interface with R&D, Analytical Services, RAD, Sales & Marketing, Customer Service and Manufacturing
- Works with the Quality Council to generate product and raw material specifications
Skills & Qualifications
- Supervisory / Management experience required
- Experience working in an industrial / manufacturing environment – specialty chemicals preferred
- Extensive analytical instrument training, calibration and analytical method validation
- Ability to successfully transfer knowledge on methodologies and procedures to current and new team members and conduct proficiency testing
- Be able to manage a diverse workforce and effectively lead a technical group
- Must be able to pass post-offer physical, drug test, background checks and other appropriate tests as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry required
- Advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in laboratory management
- Compensation commensurate to experience
- Health insurance including Medical, Dental, Vision,
- Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA) available
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Stock Purchasing Plan with employee discount
- Vacation, Sick & Holiday Pay
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AMVAC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background checks and substance abuse testing.