AMVAC’s Process Chemistry Scientist supports the Research and Development efforts at AMVAC Chemical Company through the development and enhancement of chemical processes that provide the company with a competitive advantage in the agricultural chemicals market. Processes developed will have lower cost of manufacture (raw materials, conversion and capital), environmentally sustainable manufacturing profiles (minimal waste) and are safe to operate. This position mentors R&D Chemists and Process Chemists within the Process Chemistry Group and throughout Technology. The ideal candidate will have a passion for synthetic process chemistry problem solving who enjoys both intellectual problem-solving in the design of synthetic routes and the execution of these on bench to commercial scale.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform process chemistry research within AMVAC laboratories and/or with various outside entities, e.g., physical chemical transformations, testing of raw materials, running sample batches of current products, investigating processing conditions to define manufacturing process conditions, etc.
- Record and report results in a timely manner; conduct work safely & within regulations
- Successfully troubleshoot any process and/or manufacturing problems that may arise with AMVAC products with emphasis on minimal economic impact to the company; minimum speed to resolution; maximum communication and internal coordination resulting in a durable solution
- Develop new process concepts and improved processes that AMVAC can use to differentiate itself from competitors or that are needed within the business
- Maintain a laboratory presence and skill set capable of addressing various process chemistry problems that may arise with current and new AMVAC products
- Mentor the members of the Process chemistry group including Analytical Chemists, R&D Chemists, Process Chemists and engineers
- Other assignments (benchwork, reporting, trouble shooting, etc.) as necessary may be assigned by senior lab management
- Comply with all regulatory safety and environmental requirements
- Practice excellent housekeeping which leads to an accident-free workplace
Skills & Qualifications
- Safety: Full compliance with safety/health rules and practices.
- Quality: Accuracy, thoroughness and ability to perform work while meeting quality standards. Must be able to legibly record results so that they can be understood and repeated if necessary.
- Cooperation and attitude: Ability to work well with others.
- Productivity: Self-reliance in thinking, planning and carrying out job responsibilities. Meets commitments on time.
- Discretion / Latitude: Work is performed without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment. Completed work is reviewed from a relatively long-term perspective for desired results.
- Problem Solving: Develops technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Impact: Guides the successful completion of major programs and may function in a project leadership role. Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve major organizational objectives.
- Good organization and observational skills are a must. Attention to detail is a requirement.
- Reads and understands chemical literature and be able to repeat literature synthetic methods and procedures.
- Capable of multi-step synthetic pathway research including all phases of the preparations.
- Travel independently to remote locations to solve business related problems.
- Conduct research with minimal direction.
- Must be capable of complete project leadership.
- Advanced degree in synthetic organic chemistry or chemical engineering with specific emphasis on process engineering
- PhD – Analytical / Process Chemistry preferred
- Candidates with an advanced degree (Master’s or above) and less experience will also be considered and provided a plan to develop and grow to the Scientist level over a multiple year period
- PhD plus 5+ years’ experience in the Agrochemicals or Pharmaceutical active ingredient production industries preferred
- Synthetic organic chemistry in a development, process support, or research lab
- Working knowledge of analytical chemistry;
- Experience in Quality Control; Environmental compliance; Regulatory compliance desired
- Must be able to pass background check, pre-employment physical and other tests as required
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance – Low cost to employees
- Health Savings Account (HSA) / Flexible Spending Account (FSA) available
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer matching after 30 days of employment
- Employee Stock Purchasing Plan (ESPP) with employee discount available
- Vacation, Sick & Holiday Pay
- Self-starter, critical thinker, detail orientated hands-on research scientist with a drive to get to a practical and economically viable solution.
AMVAC, an American Vanguard company, successfully serves global markets through development, manufacturing and marketing of products for agricultural and commercial use. (NYSE: AVD)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AMVAC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background checks and substance abuse testing.