The Operations Engineer at AMVAC’s Los Angeles manufacturing plant is responsible for the management of all activities involved in the Operation & Maintenance of a 24 hour, 365 day operational chemical process unit utilizing highly hazardous chemicals. The Operations Engineer will coordinator maintenance activities and work closely with the plant management to oversee safe and efficient operations throughout the specialty chemical manufacturing process.
AMVAC Chemical Corporation, an American Vanguard® Company, headquartered in the U.S., is a global technology solutions provider for agriculture and a leader in proven chemistries, green solutions, precision application systems including SIMPAS® and SmartBox®, and sustainability solutions for plant and soil health.
AMVAC successfully serves global markets through development, manufacturing and marketing of products for agricultural and commercial use.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure proper implementation of plant policies, programs and standards consistent with the corporate policies and supervise the application of such policies to the plant’s manufacturing operations
- Coordinate the execution of manufacturing schedules based on sales requirements and plant capacity
- Plan, organize and direct the manufacturing and maintenance operations which ensure the most effective return of assets
- Ensure safe and efficient utilization of equipment and facilities
- Ensure 100% compliance with all company policies, safety standards, environmental permits and regulations
- Coordinate & participate in long-range plant expansion, conversion, equipment planning, installation, R & D activities, and new equipment purchases
- Prepare annual operations and maintenance budgets; Maintain conformance to cost and budgetary limits
- Continually improve the plants’ safety record by addressing both the physical safety issues and employee safety attitude
- Maintain and improve housekeeping
- Control quality, waste generation, cost of production, warehousing, shipping and receiving of raw materials, finished goods
- Participate in Process Hazard Analysis (PHA); Safety Committee and Environmental Committee & is a part of the plant emergency Response Team
- Maintain and update Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) including training procedures & participate in new hire and safety trainings
- Participates in evaluation and certification of personnel as far as operational capability is concerned
- Recommend changes where changes are justifiable by Cost and Time Studies
- Reviews and recommends matters of personnel or rate changes
- Work closely with plant managers to monitor and improve plant operations, safety procedures and environmental compliance
Skills & Qualifications
- 7+ years of Chemical Engineering or similar experience in the Specialty Chemical process Industry
- Working knowledge of local, State & Federal regulations which apply to the facility
- Prior experience in Process Safety Management (PSM)
- Demonstrated experience in leadership
- Ability to instill and maintain standards of excellence in site supervisory team
- Analytical, technical and problem-solving skills
- Flexible and able to deal with rapidly changing situations
- Must pass post-offer drug test, background check, physical and other appropriate as required
Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering (BSChE)
- Excellent Insurance Benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision with low out-of-pocket employee costs
- Life & AD&D Insurance provided for employees and their families
- Health Savings / Flexible Spending Accounts available
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer matching
- Employee Stock Purchasing Plan (ESPP) with employee discount
- Vacation, Sick & Holiday Pay
- Wellness programs
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AMVAC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background checks and substance abuse testing.