AMVAC’s Material Handlers work with shipping & receiving unloading raw materials and inbound chemicals from tanker trucks and rail cars and loading finished goods for shipping. Requires experience loading and unloading liquids, chemicals and hazardous materials from tanks and rail cars. Must be able to operate forklifts safely and in tight places.
AMVAC® Chemical Corporation, an American Vanguard company, has successfully served the results‐driven global markets through development, manufacturing and marketing of products for agricultural and commercial use. AMVAC is an essential service provider for farming and food cultivation.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Move pallets of raw materials, packaging materials and finished goods safely and efficiently
- Connect & disconnect hoses to bulk containers from railcars and tanker trucks for loading and unloading by proper use and connection of fittings to tank car and unloading lines
- Inspect shipments, review documentation, takes samples of materials safely and efficiently to prevent spills and odors while wearing required PPE
- Label, wrap, seal and palletize finished goods for shipment
- Fill out BOL (Bill of Lading) properly to ensure compliance with D.O.T. (Department of Transportation) requirements for shipment of hazardous materials
- Operate related equipment i.e. fork lifts, wrapping machine, drum picker, pumps in a safe, prescribed and responsible manner to prevent damage
- Use hand tools as needed to repair and maintain equipment
- Keep work areas clean, neat and uncluttered and consider housekeeping as an essential part of the operation
- Work out doors and in all types of weather
- Shifts vary according to demand and may include shift differential: day / swing / nights / weekends; overtime may be required
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to drive forklifts in tight quarters
- Experience working with Hazmat / wearing PPE including full-face and supplied air breathing apparatus
- Climbing ladders and scaffolding; Lifting up to 60 lbs; working out-of-doors and in all weather
- Excellent communication skills, ability to follow instruction
- Written communication skills – experience labeling hazardous materials, documentation, Bills of Lading, reading work orders; Reading and understanding Safety Data Sheets (MSDS / SDS)
- Math skills including weighing and measuring; adding, subtracting etc. using a calculator
- PLC / DCS experience a plus
- Must pass background check and pre-employment physical
- Must be able to work overtime, weekends, nights, swing depending on work demands in a 7x24 manufacturing plant
- Completion of high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Industry certifications (Hazwoper, etc.) & advanced training a plus
- 2+ years of experience handling hazardous materials in bulk quantities to include loading and unloading of tank trucks and tank cars
- 1+ year of experience handling hazardous chemicals in packaged quantities including moving and sorting of palletized goods; loading and unloading of trailers
- Full time position – Hours vary
- Health insurance including Medical, Dental, Vision,
- Health Savings Account (HSA) / Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer matching
- Employee Stock Purchasing Plan with employee discount
- Vacation, Sick & Holiday Pay
- Overtime / Shift differential pay as required
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AMVAC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background checks and substance abuse testing.