The Lead Industrial Painter’s responsibilities and duties include safely preparing the surface to bind to the paint, mixing the paint, applying paint in the desired color and amount per specifications to ensure high quality finish and appearance per company standards.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensures surfaces are cleaned and prepared to specifications prior to painting.
- Expert in a wide array of painting tools, including thin and thick brushes, airbrushes and rollers.
- Monitors the mixing of chemicals and paints, filling tanks, overseeing viscosity, thinner, and chemicals to mixture.
- Ensures safe disposal of chemical and other types of waste per company policy.
- Verifies correct paint colors per company procedure.
- Identifies different painting techniques based on the nature of the surface.
- Oversees and assists with set up and operating painting equipment to coat metal products with lacquer, paint, varnish, enamel, oil, or rust proofing material.
- Oversees and assists with stripping, sanding, masking, and repainting surfaces, blending and polishing finish to match surrounding areas, manually or using portable power tools.
- Responsible for special safety equipment needs such as painting goggles. May use a full-face ventilation mask for extended periods of time.
- Coordinates with other departments to ensure a steady flow of needed supplies and equipment.
- Oversees and operates lifting and moving devices to move materials and equipment and access areas to be painted.
- Able to set priorities and make appropriate decisions on assignments contingent upon availability of materials and manpower.
- Able to read and interpret documents such as blueprints, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Obeys and ensures compliance with all regulatory safety requirements and with all regulatory environmental requirements.
- Complies and ensures compliance with all company policies, practices and lawful directives.
- Performs other assignments as necessary and directed by management.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to dust and/or fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, loud noises, and/or vibrations.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at the manufacturing site.
- This position may occasionally require work performed in various and/or extreme weather conditions.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and listen. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing all day or at various times of day. The employee must frequently safely lift and move items over 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Ability to Travel:
This position does require the ability to travel if needed.
Position Type and Working Hours:
- This is a full time, regular, non-exempt position.
- This position may be required to work nights and/or weekends as job duties demand.
- Department and/or production needs determine employee work schedules.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Skills & Qualifications
- Performs all principal duties and possesses the skills and abilities of an Industrial Lead Painter.
- Coordinates and assesses needs for multiple jobs; including the ordering of paint and effective allocation of manpower.
- Monitors and observes work performed and checks for adherence to quality standards and safe work practices.
- Troubleshoots job, equipment, and employee issues.
- Proficient in ability to read standard blueprints.
- Oversees preparation of daily job reports.
- Highly organized and self-motivated.
- Able to work in fast-paced, self-directed environment.
- Strong industrial safe work practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Practical math skills.
- Diligence and attention to detail.
- Must be able to participate in the respiratory program which includes but is not limited to being clean shaven and able to wear a respirator when safety needs dictate.
- Must participate in random drug tests.
- Must be able to pass a physical and drug test.
- Must be able to pass a Department of Homeland Security approved pre-employment criminal background check.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- AIDT or Technical training preferred
- 1-3 years painting experience in industrial or commercial painting preferred or a combination of education and applicable experience.
- Heavy industrial painting experience preferred.
- Forklift or man lift experience preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AMVAC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background checks and substance abuse testing.