The Formulation Development Scientist will support AMVAC’s current business through analysis, research, development, troubleshooting and making recommendations relative to formulated products and formulation processes.
AMVAC, an American Vanguard company, successfully serves global markets through development, manufacturing and marketing of products for agricultural and commercial use. The Formulation Development Scientist will participate as a proactive member of cross functional teams developing and implementing strategies regarding formulation development as they pertain to quality, regulatory, manufacturing, marketing, and sales in conjunction with members from the corresponding departments. The Formulation Development Scientist will help to implement these strategies through new formulation and new technology development as well as providing supporting documentation.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Design, prepare and develop stable and compatible agricultural formulations for use in crop protection
- Develop new formulations of current and new products that provide enhanced customer value and positively differentiate AMVAC products from those of competitors
- Identify new technologies and establish future research in areas such as plant health, soil health, biodiversity, precision Agriculture and related topics
- Interface with Research as well as Business, Manufacturing, Marketing, Regulatory and Quality functions regarding project updates and product advancement
- Keep abreast of new developments in formulations science including liquid and dry pesticide formulations and provide a technical resource base for ideas and concepts for new formulations that will enhance AMVAC products
- Define product and process specifications in collaboration with R&D, Quality Assurance and Regulatory
- Provide technical formulation guidance to contract manufacturing organizations (CMO)
- Work with AMVAC cross functional teams to define customer needs for new products and establish a portfolio of formulation options to meet these needs with appropriate deference to costs, technical feasibility & regulatory compliance
- Author applicable sections of regulatory submissions and provide Regulatory support
- Act as a liaison with internal and external customers and provide technical reports and presentations to diverse audiences
- Lead the intellectual property effort as it relates to new formulations and formulation technologies and ensure non-disclosure (NDA) agreements are in place
- Contribute ideas aimed at advancing existing technologies or creating new technologies, processes, or IP; Troubleshoot development issues and strive for innovative solutions
Skills & Qualifications
- 5 years of experience in formulations development
- Understanding of formulation strategies for developing stable and compatible agrochemical formulations as a standalone product and/or in combination with other agrochemical formulations
- Experience with formulation characterization of both concentrated formulations and complex mixtures, including particle size, rheological properties, stability characteristics, and products compatibility
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work on cross-functional and international teams and to prioritize and manage the demands from multiple projects
- Able to travel independently to remote locations to solve complex technical issues
- Must have a deep holistic understanding of the agrochemical field including chemical processing, processing equipment, regulations, packaging, labeling, field agrochemical application techniques, biochemistry, soil chemistry, colloid chemistry and toxicology
- Computer skills: EXCEL, Microsoft WORD, PowerPoint, etc.
- Pass a pre-employment background check and other tests as required
- Master’s in Chemistry, Materials Science, Polymer Science, or Food Science, or a BS in Chemical Engineering is required
- Outstanding Health insurance including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life
- Health Savings / Flexible Spending Accounts
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer matching
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan with employee discount
- Generous Vacation, Sick & Holiday Pay
- Wellness program
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AMVAC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background checks and substance abuse testing.