AMVAC’s Environmental Specialist supports and assists the Environmental Compliance Manager in achieving and maintaining compliance for AMVAC’s plant (Los Angeles) with federal, state, local and other applicable laws and regulations and, the AMVAC’s corporate objectives.
AMVAC® Chemical Corporation, an American Vanguard company, has successfully served the results‐driven global markets through development, manufacturing and marketing of products for agricultural and commercial use.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist in preparing, developing, maintaining, improving and implementing environmental and training programs for compliance with regulatory requirements and AMVAC corporate objectives.
- Perform and document audits, inspections, observations and appropriate corrective actions for the Environmental Department to maintain and improve AMVAC’s compliance performance record.
- Manage, handle, prepare and ship hazardous waste.
- Assist and act as primary backup to the Environmental Compliance Manager in the following:
- Preparing and maintaining plans, reports, manuals and related requirements (e.g.: RCRA, PBR, SPCC, SWPPP, P2, AER, SMR, PPE, TRI SARA III, 1173, CWC, SB14, TSCA, AB2588, AB617, and others).
- Represent the facility and participate in communications and interactions with and/or inspections by regulatory agencies and related entities and the community.
- Assist and act as primary backup to the onsite Environmental Technician in the following:
- Perform area and other monitoring as needed for the Environmental Department. Maintain containment areas through regular inspections and corrective actions.
- Cleaning of the industrial wastewater system equipment during routine regular intervals and as required.
- Transport hazardous waste, empty containers, and other wastes within the site.
- Manage and handling of rainwater which includes working in inclement weather.
- Perform monitoring, sampling, testing, analysis and measurements as required by the Environmental Department - requires working in confined spaces and heights.
- Maintain complete and adequate documentation and records to maintain environmental compliance.
- Actively participate in the plant’s environmental, sustainability, source reduction, and waste minimization efforts and goals.
- Be able to work during off‐hours to meet business needs as needed.
- Maintain a safe, organized and clean work environment.
Skills & Qualifications
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to interact with Supervisors and other plant personnel.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of AMVAC personnel and with representatives of government agencies (e.g. South Coast Air Quality Management District, L.A. County Sanitation District, L.A. County Fire Department, etc.).
- Ability to drive a forklift.
- Must pass post-offer physical, background checks and other appropriate testing as required
- BS (preferably in Environmental Compliance or chemical orientation)
- Knowledgeable about and understand the most significant laws and regulations pertaining to air; water; storm water; wastewater; solid, universal, and hazardous wastes; pesticides; transportation; and safety.
- Must have some experience working with chemicals in an industrial environment or equivalent alternative.
- Experience working with AQMD, South Coast AQMD, Chamber of Commerce, EPA, LAFD, county & state agencies a plus.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AMVAC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background checks and substance abuse testing.