AMVAC’s Chemical Material Handler is responsible for the handling of incoming and outgoing of hazardous materials in bulk quantities; loading and unloading of tank trucks, tank cars and trailers; moving and sorting of palletized goods in a responsible and safe manner at all times.
AMVAC® Chemical Corporation, an American Vanguard company, has successfully served the results‐driven global markets through development, manufacturing and marketing of products for agricultural and commercial use.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Connect & disconnect hoses to bulk containers (railcars / tank trucks) for loading and unloading operations properly to avoid spills or emissions.
- Be aware of the hazard of all materials handled, wear Personal Protective Equipment and follow all labeling as required.
- Inspect, sample and unload bulk materials safely and efficiently to prevent spills and odors by proper use and connection of fittings to tanker or tank car and unloading line.
- Use proper techniques and procedures in transfer of materials and disconnect of hoses and fittings to prevent escape of liquids and vapors.
- Load bulk materials safely and efficiently to prevent spills and odors by proper use of procedures, connection of hoses and fittings to tanker and tank cars.
- Label, wrap, seal and palletize finished goods for shipment.
- Keep work areas clean, neat and uncluttered and consider housekeeping as an essential part of the operation.
- Fill out BOL (Bill of Lading) properly to ensure compliance with D.O.T. (Department of Transportation) requirements for shipment of hazardous materials.
- Move and store pallets of raw materials, packaging materials and finished goods safely and efficiently.
- Load and unload bulk quantity hazardous materials to prevent spills and odors. Determine proper unloading devices such as hoses and quick connects.
- Inspect equipment for serviceability prior to use.
- Sample incoming shipments as required and deliver sample to QC lab in timely manner.
- Operate related equipment i.e. fork lifts, wrapping machine, drum picker, pumps in a safe, prescribed and responsible manner to prevent damage.
- Use hand tools.
- Troubleshoot system and detect malfunction which will affect safe and efficient operation and be able to describe malfunction to maintenance personnel. Assist maintenance during breakdowns and shutdowns.
Skills & Qualifications
- Must be able to do moderate to heavy lifting.
- Drive forklift in tight quarters.
- Must be able to stand and walk for long period of time as well as climb stairs and ladder frequently to high places.
- Must be able to work overtime, weekends and nights depending on work demands.
- Must be able to work outdoors and in inclement weather.
- Must be able to function while wearing personal protective equipment including half face, full-face respirator or a supplied air breathing apparatus.
- Must be able to fully understand, comprehend and strictly adhere to both oral and written safety, operating procedures and policies.
- Be able to function in a crisis situation under direction of supervisor or other in case of emergency that might occur in shipping and handling of hazardous materials at the plant site.
- Must be able to use hand tools for connections and disconnections.
- Ability to use handheld calculator to do simple arithmetic calculation for loading, sizing and weight determination, as required.
- Read and comprehend moderately complex instructions and conduct operations accordingly.
- Read and understand material safety and data sheets (SDS).
- Completion of high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- At least two years of progressive experience in handling of hazardous materials in bulk quantities to include loading and unloading of tank trucks and tank cars.
- Preferably one year of experience in handling of hazardous chemicals in packaged quantities to include moving and sorting of palletized goods and loading and unloading of trailers.
- Must pass post-offer physical, background checks and other appropriate testing as required.
- Health insurance including Medical, Dental, Vision,
- Health Savings Account (HSA) / Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Life and AD&D
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with employer matching
- Employee Stock Purchasing Plan with employee discount
- Vacation, Sick & Holiday Pay
- Wellness program and more
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AMVAC is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background checks and substance abuse testing.